Hong Kong is one of the busiest and most efficient international container ports in the world. It handled nearly 18.0 million TEUs of containers in 2021. The port provided about 270 international container liner services per week connecting to nearly 600 destinations worldwide.
The locations of the major port facilities, including container terminals, the river trade terminal, mid-stream sites, public cargo working areas (PCWAs) and supporting facilities (e.g. shipyards and typhoon shelters) are shown in the above plan.
In 2021, the Kwai Chung-Tsing Yi Container Terminals handled around 14.6 million TEUs, representing about 82% of the port container throughput. The remaining 18% was handled at mid-stream sites, the river trade terminal, PCWAs, buoys and anchorages, and other wharves.